Private International Boarding School
Our global society is more interconnected and competitive than ever before, and this has prompted dramatic changes in the dynamics of leadership, professionalism, and business. Carson Long’s residential campus environment reflects the university model and places education, structure, and enrichment at the center of all activities.
Carson Long’s international cadets comprise about 32% of the student population. During the 2012-13 school year cadets represented ten countries and six continents. Carson Long’s international cadets have the opportunity to master the English language while experiencing U.S. culture.
Carson Long offers all our students, a variety of individual art and music opportunities as well as core academics and athletics. Carson Long’s international cadets are prepared to meet and grapple with the idea of higher education and independence from their fist day.
Carson Long’s English as a Second Language (ESL) program prepares international cadets for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Carson Long’s ESL program is designed with a clear and concise syllabus, written materials, and clear objectives for overall success of our international community.
Benefits of Carson Long’s ESL Program
- TOEFL test-taking strategies.
- TOEFL vocabulary in ESL classes and academic reading assignments.
- Academic writing along with TOEFL writing prompts.
- Reading comprehension skills.
- Techniques of identifying critical information.
- Listening for comprehension.
- Exposure to various U.S. dialects.
- English sentence structure.
Carson Long’s ESL Program Levels
- ESL Level 1: Beginner Level
- ESL Level 2: Intermediate Level
- ESL Level 3: Advanced Level
- ESL Level 4: ESL writing development/TOEFL preparation.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Yes we do. Should you apply, be accepted, and choose to enroll (by paying your deposit) at Carson Long as an international student, we will issue an I-20 for you to take to the U.S. consulate or embassy near you and use when you apply for an F-1 student visa.
Are international students required to take the SLEP (Secondary Level English Proficiency) Test or TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) Test?
- No, we do not require either of these tests for acceptance to Carson Long
Can international students leave campus early or return late from scheduled breaks to facilitate travel arrangements?
- No, they may not. All vacations are set and posted prior to the school year. Please make flight times so that they fit during our vacation times
Does Carson Long offer home-stay programs over the school vacations for International Students who do not wish to go home?
- No, we do not, Those who do not choose to travel to their home countries for the break must make arrangements as to where they will stay during school vacations. Many boys go home with friends and roommates, but this must be prearranged by cadet parents, as the school cannot be responsible for boys during breaks. If a cadet remains at school over a break, there is an additional cost for the stay.